The first M3 based Macs are shipping. Minor updates for many of the Apple platforms this week fix some really annoying bugs. macOS 14.2 and iOS 17.2 get their second round of betas.
The only Apple Unified Platform for Business
Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates Enhanced MDM, Endpoint Security, Internet Privacy & Security, Single Sign-On, and Application Management on a single Apple-only platform.
Click here to learn why Mosyle is all you need to work with Apple.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe by email here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
- Apple says it has no plans to update the 27-inch iMac with Apple Silicon chips – Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica
- Adding build provenance to Homebrew – William Woodruff, Trail of Bits Blog
- Testing Apple’s M3 Pro: More efficient, but performance is a step sideways – Andrew Cunningham Ars Technica
- Spotlight on: Apple Vision Pro apps for enterprise – Apple Developer
- Now is the time: manage your Mac endpoints with Microsoft Intune – Lior Bela, Microsoft Intune Blog (I may not agree, but there are some good improvements.)
⚙️macOS and iOS Updates
Note: there are hardware specific builds for the new M3 based Macs for both 13.6.2 (22G2321) and 14.1.1 (23B2082)
- iOS 17.1.1: About
- iPadOS 17.1.1: About
- watchOS 10.1: About
- HomePod Software 17.1.1: About
- Logic Pro: Newsroom, Mac 10.8, iPad 1.1
- Final Cut Pro: Newsroom
- Apple Platform Certifications: Welcome, Document revision history
No Security info for any of the updates.
- macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 Update: What’s New? – Mr. Macintosh
- Apple has just released Sonoma 14.1.1 update – Howard Oakley
- Zachary Cutlip: “Every once in a while my shell history gets truncated and I have to go into backups and figure out when it happened, restore/merge/etc. (more)”
🔐Security and Privacy
🔨Support and HowTos
- More boost with Arc for Jamf Pro – Rob Potvin
- Mac Evaluation Utility: What is it and how to download? – Bradley Chambers, 9to5Mac
- Using Touch ID for sudo on macOS… even after installing an OS update – Alan Siu
- How to Configure Sonoma Blocker with Jamf Pro – HCS Technology Group
- Changing the Email Address Associated with an Apple ID – HCS Technology Group
- Managing the default browser in macOS – Armin Briegel, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- How Windows IT Teams Can Be Successful with Apple at Work – Addigy
- Resolving “Signing Certificate issued by SSO Identity Provider is expiring in 30 days” notifications in Jamf Pro after rotating Entra ID SAML signing certificate – Rich Trouton
🤖Scripting and Automation
♻️Updates and Releases
- Munki 6.3.4 (signed and notarized)
- swiftDialog v2.3.3
- ThreatDown: A new chapter for Malwarebytes – Marcin Kleczynski, Malwarebytes Labs
- JamfCheck v1.6
- Defeating Little Brother requires a new outlook on privacy – Lock and Code, MalwareBytes Labs
- Jamf Pro 11, JNUC and IT horror stories – Jamf After Dark Episode
- Ashok Amirthalingam on the Mac, Digital Transformation, and Cloud Holdouts – Mac Admins Podcast
- Orka 3.0 comes to remote Macs everywhere – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
If you listen, please take a moment to full out the Mac Admins Podcast Survey 2023!
🎈Just for Fun
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!