Happy first day of the last month of 2023!
(Sponsor: vast limits)
application performance monitoring
uberAgent is an innovative user experience monitoring product for macOS and Windows. uberAgent’s highlights include detailed information about application performance, network reliability drill-downs, application usage metering, browser performance, and web app metrics. Try for yourself and get your free 100 user community license at uberagent.com.
We got the fourth beta for the macOS 14.2/iOS 17.2 updates this week. Not yet an RC, which points to a release in two two weeks at the earliest. Second week of December matches the historical record, not that that means much.
We also got security updates: macOS 14.1.2, Safari 17.1.2, and iOS/iPadOS 17.1.2 which patches zero-day exploits in WebKit. Is is notable that these were not Rapid Security Responses, but “normal” updates.
If you have been deferring the major software update for macOS Sonoma and iOS 17 using the deferral profile, you should be ware that the maximum value of 90 days after release will expire on December 26th. You probably want reduce the value in the profile so that you address any issues that might arise from end user upgrading before your holiday break.
If you would rather get the weekly newsletter by email, you can subscribe to the MacAdmins.news Weekly email here!! (Same content, delivered to your Inbox once a week.)
📰News and Opinion
- You Don’t Need to Turn Off Apple’s NameDrop Feature in iOS 17 – Reece Rogers, Wired
- Mac at SAP’s sustainability efforts – Harald Monihart, LinkedIn (PowerMonitor 1.0.2 on Github)
- macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 (23B92, M3 Macs: 23B2091): What’s new, Security
- Safari 17.1.2: Security
- iOS 17.1.2: About, iPadOS 17.1.2, Security
- Final Cut Pro: Mac 10.7, iPad 1.3, What’s new (Mac), What’s new (iPad)
- macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 Update, Safari Zero Day – Mr. Macintosh
- Apple has released macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 and Safari updates – Howard Oakley
- Apple Adds New Features to Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Motion, Compressor, and Logic Pro – Juli Clover, MacRumors
🔐Security and Privacy
- Managed Device Attestation for Apple devices: a technical exploration – Jedda Wignall
- Running audit and remediation on multiple OSes with mSCP and Jamf Pro – John Mahlman
🔨Support and HowTos
- Notes on Jamf Pro API Roles and Clients – Bryson Tyrrell, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- DDM & Managed Software Updates – Ecco_Luke, Jamf Tech Thoughts
- VMware Workspace ONE vs Microsoft Intune 2023 MacOS Edition – Jon Towles
- Automating setup of a Jamf Pro server on Ubuntu LTS – Rich Trouton
🤖Scripting and Automation
♻️Updates and Releases
- Updates for managing iOS devices: user enrollment – Google Workspace Updates
- Kandji Adopts Declarative Device Management for OS Updates – Kandji Blog
- JamfCheck v1.8
- XCreds 3.3 Beta 1
- Munki 6.3.5 Beta 2
- Catching up on Wi-Fi – Apple @ Work Podcast, 9to5Mac
- Damian Cavanagh on Shortcuts for Admin Tasks – Mac Admins Podcast
If you are enjoying what you are reading here, please spread the word and recommend it to another Mac Admin!