The Apple Vision Pro is on sale today in the US, and there were plenty of reviews this week already as soon as the embargo dropped. My favorite is from Nilay Patel at The Verge, but there are many others worth watching if you are curious.
Last week's issue had a confluence on multiple major topics: 300th issue, new newsletter service, forty years of Macintosh, Apple's reaction to the DMA. Don't worry, I am not planning to rant quite as much in every issue.
Nevertheless, there have been interesting follow-up articles and discussions on the major topics since then. I was planning short summaries for all these topics, but then realized it is much easier to refer you to the amazing summaries of Michael Tsai:
📰 News and Opinion
⚙️ Apple Updates
- visionOS 1.0.2: Security
- Apple Vision Pro User Guide
AirPods 6A324 for AirPods Max: Firmware updates
- Apple Business Manager release notes
- Apple School Manager release notes
The January 2024 updates for Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager adds documentation for federating and syncing users to an identity provider using SCIM, which was promised at WWDC. However, the table of contents or Document revision history for the Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager Guides do not show these new additions (yet), so follow the links in the release notes.
🔐 Security and Privacy
🔨 Support and Tutorials
🤖 Scripting and Automation
- Shyam Bhojwani on Workato – Mac Admins Podcast
- Triumphs, Twists, and Unexpected Joys – Command, Control, Power
- Apple Vision Pro at work? – Apple@Work, 9to5Mac
- Broadcom & VMWare Acquisition: What Migrating To Jamf Could Look Like & What Organizations Need to Consider – Jamf After Dark
- Bruce Schneier predicts a future of AI-powered mass spying – Lock and Code (post with transcript)